Sunday, March 11, 2007

Blogger 03/11/2007

We switched over to day-light savings time today; three weeks earlier than usual. Fine by me, I love the light evenings, I can go out and ride my bike after work, and maybe even mow the lawn!! The weather was super nice this weekend, got some jogging and bike riding in, and worked a bit on the house. We just went to see Slinky the horse, I need to see him at least once a week, just to make sure he is alright. Chelsea goes to see him every day, he is out of commission again, the trainer seems to think that he has an abscess in his foot; he is limping and cannot be ridden (again!). Having a horse in the city is a joke, but Chelsea loves him so much, I would never even think of getting rid of him. Besides, he is a pet, and he is our favorite horse! It is actually very nice to see him; he always makes us happy, even with his sore foot. Anyway, enough about horses and being totally crazy (and crazy about my kid!), like I say “there are two kinds of people at the stables, the very wealthy and the totally insane” and of course I belong in the insane camp!
Again, the weather has been very nice, we had some rain last week, but this weekend was nice and warm, just right with a pair of shorts and a tee-shirt; last night we even went to the pool, I primarily sat in the hot-tub, but I took a little swim as well. One of our pools is heated year-around, and it is five minutes from our house (two if you drive, which we do, since we are Californians!), so it is great for a quick dip.
The new job is going very well, but it is a bit hectic. I’m trying to learn all the new systems, while attempting to be useful. I’m primarily doing internal audits, but I’m sure that it will change as I go along. My position is new, so it will evolve over time; right now I’m just another set of hands (which are sorely needed!). But the atmosphere is great, and having a 4 mile commute is just fantastic (still takes me 15 minutes, there is always traffic in SoCal), and all the benefits that one could ask for. I’m thinking of going back to school again, Edwards (my new employer) pays for the whole thing, I’ve applied at Cal State Dominquez Hills, for a Masters in Quality Assurance. This will be all on-line, something new for me, but just the savings in a commute (not even thinking of the gas), will make it worthwhile. I must be insane, getting my MBA was a pain in the neck, and here I go again, but my primary objective is to stay employed as long as possible, and in the dog-eat-dog world of employment here in USA, one better be on ones toes constantly.
I’ve been busy, I drag my lap-top home every night, and probably work on it a few hours here and there, but I think it will change once I get settled in, and know what’s going on. I’m really looking forward to summer, I can’t wait to go to the beach (although we go in the “winter” as well, just to sit and watch the waves), the warm evenings, and hot days. I never got tired of the heat, a lot of people suffer, I don’t, bring on the 90 deg F any day, and I will be happy!! We don’t have any big plans yet, this is the year of culture (read “cheap”), so we will do a few museums, and some other cool things that SoCal has to offer. We are determined to pay some bills (and with three kids, a dog and a horse we have some bills!), so we will do it up on the frugal side this summer (read: we will go to the Beach!), and save a few bucks. So, what else is new? Everybody is doing great, the family is healthy and happy, Kathy works 3-4 days a week as a substitute teacher (mostly in Irvine, saves on gas!), and she enjoys herself. I think Chelsea is finally getting used to college, she is realizing that it is a lot of dedicated work, and that the teachers don’t care if you fail! So, nose to the grindstone, and just do the work! Sidney the Border collie just walked in the room, God we love her soooo much! She has truly turned out to be the greatest dog, and to think that we got her from the animal shelter! Fate? Yes!!! She has the best personality, and not a mean bone in her body. The boys are doing as little as possible, I try to get them out of the house at least for a few hours every weekend, but given to their own devices, they would rather stay inside and play the infernal video-games all weekend! The Devil’s invention, I say, intended to do nothing but to rot the mind. Oh well, I hope it is just a phase, and they will get tired of the darn thing at some point.
Actually, they are pretty good. We went to a garage sale on Saturday, and we bought an old type-writer for $5.00. Mikey thought it was the greatest thing, he started writing letters and stories, just imagine a kid that has been brought up on computers (he has his own lap-top for Christ’s sake), loving an old antiquated type-writer, but he just generally loves any kind of gadget. Anyway, it’s 9:37 (actually my body thinks it is 8:37), and I’m slowly heading off to bed, read for a few minutes, then sleep like a zombie!
You all have a great and wonderful spring, take care of each other, and enjoy every moment, I know I will!!

Love, Kram,
Yours, Peter L.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home